Headlights Switch Replacement for a Tri Five Chevy
Description: How to remove and replace the headlight dashboard pull switch in a 1955, 1956, 1957 Classic Chevy Tri Five.
- Disconnect the negative side of the battery.
- Reach under the instrument panel and depress the switch shaft retainer button that is on top of the internal switch and pull out the knob and shaft assembly.
- Remove the retaining ferrule. Also remove the escutcheon and bezel, then remove the switch assembly. A ferrule is the switch’s retaining nut. The nut screws into a threaded metal flange made into the switch behind the dash. The ferrule is a threaded tube with a slotted head. The slot is wider and thicker than any screwdriver I own. I had to make a special tool of the correct width and girth. The ferrule is made from pot metal and can be damaged very easily. If a too wide the tool being used may scratch the plastic escutcheon. If the tool is not thick enough the slots in the ferrule will wallow out making it hard to properly tighten the ferrule.
- Disconnect the multi-plug connector from the lighting switch. You may have to use a screwdriver to pry the plug from the switch.
- Connect the multi-plug connector to a new light switch.
- Place the switch in position behind the dash. Install the bezel, escutcheon and the ferrule.
- Push the switch knob and shaft assembly into position until it snaps into place. My new switch replacement switch shaft was too long. I had to shim the back of the switch moving it towards the firewall to make the switch knob look correct in the off position.
- Reconnect the battery.
- Check for proper operation of the headlights and dome light.
|Homemade ferrule removal tool.|