|Electronic switch and lock cylinder|
- Raise the hood and disconnect the negative battery connection from the battery.
- Remove the lock cylinder by positioning the switch with key inserted in the lock position.
- Insert a wire in the small press plunger hole on the face of the key tumblr. (a paper clip works best)
- Push in on the paper clip to release the holding catch of the plunger
- While holding down the paper clip with the key in the switch turn the tumblr counterclockwise until the cylinder can be removed. (It usually takes several attempts to make this work and then you will be astonished when the tumblr just falls out. )
- Disconnect the wire connector from the ignition switch (as as potential time saver identify the wires as removed, I use masking tape and a Magic Marker)
- Remove the bezel and its retaining spring (It just pulls off, I try not to use a pry device, so as not to scratch the dashboard.)
- Remove the spanner nut (Here is where you will need to be creative, the nut has a slot for removal that is too wide to use a screwdriver. I have used a wood chisel.,( it was too sharp and marred the pot metal finish.) a putty knife, (it was too thin and slipped out.) I finally I made a device the same
- With the nut removed the switch will back out through the instrument panel for removal.
- Position the switch into the instrument panel.
- While holding the switch in one hand screw on the spanner nut. (Make the nut snug but not tight)
- Install the bezel and its retaining spring. (Double check to see if the switch behind the instrument panel is right side up, I put it in upside down once. Very annoying! Now you have to play with the position of the switch so your key lines up correctly with the labels on the bezel. With everything all lined up correctly, remove the bezel to really tighten the nut to keep the whole thing from turning while trying start you car. Very embarrassing! )
- Connect the wires to the ignition switch
- Replace the lock cylinder. ( I keep the key in the cylinder to then line up the key to the off position. When in place turn the key to start and it will lock into place. Remove the key. If you remove the key and the tumblr stay in place you have put the tumblr in correctly.)
- Hook up you negative battery cable and lower the hood