|Danchuck's 3=point Retractable Front Seat Belts in Black|
Item # 12579
Link to Danchuck
Plugola: I bought my belts at Danchuck. They are an excellent source for Tri-Five parts and information. I or any of my friends have ever had issue with Danchuck. I would recommend.-Alan
- Using a friend of average height as a guide, measure where you wish to position the retractor and third point
- Mount the shoulder bracket. More than likely the bracket will have to be trimmed to size to fit correctly. From your mark you made in step one, cut and weld the plate in place.
- Note: To save the interior from being set a fire you must cover all the flammable parts. I went to all my friends and borrowed their leather welding jackets for fire protection. I used four or five jackets. I also used sheet metal pieces that fit in place over the carpet. For added burn protection, I covered the remaining areas with wet towels. To not burn the paint on the outside of the "B" pillar I used bailing wire to hold a wet dish towel on the outside of the pillar to keep the paint from burning.-- -Obsessive, you bet! I go by the old Texas saying, "It is better to have it and not need it, than not have it and need it."
- With some modern ingenuity you will be able to bolt the retractor to the dogleg area at the front of the inside rear quarter panel rather than on the floor. Doing so, keeps the retractor from tripping your passengers as he or she get in the back seat.
- With your locations marked, drill three holes. The two outer holes are lug welded holes for the anchor plate. Which means, you weld the center of the hole on the anchor plate to make a homemade spot weld. You will want to put the plate behind the sheet metal and weld the bracket to the sheet metal.
- Mount the last seat belt bracket or so called “fixed arm” next to the transmission/ drive shaft hump behind the seat.
- Mark a spot where moving the seat back and forth will not be affected the the mounting fixed arm.
- Check to insure you are not going to drill into something you do not want to on the other side of the floor pan.
- Drill the holes. It is messy, but I drilled through the carpet, My bad!
- Once the fixed arms are all in place for your three point shoulder harness, you are done except for the custom work to make it all work to your satisfaction.
- Now start on the lap belts or three point belts for the back seats.
- The back belts are very similar to the front belts. Mark them, make sure there is enough room for an anchor plate behind the floor, drill and bolt in.
How to install three point retractable seat belt in a Classic Chevy Tri-Five
1955 Chevy Belair 210 150
1956 Chevy Wagon
1957 Chevy Nomad